Saturday, September 10, 2011

Gewurztraminer - you can drink it even if you can't say it!

I love gewurztraminer - but it intimidates some wine drinkers - from the hard to pronounce and spell name to the unusual style.



My advice?  Try a bottle of the 2009 Pfaffenheim Gewurztraminer at your local BC Liquor Store - you will be glad you did.



Gewurztraminer - pronounced Guh-wurtz-tra-meener - is a wine grape grown first of all in the Alsace region of France and in Germany.  But BC also has good gewurz - for short - from several Okanagan wineries, including Sumac Ridge, See Ya Later Ranch and more.


Pfaffenheim - pronounced Pfahf-n-hime - is a winery in Alsace that I particularly like - and the reason is in the bottle.  This wine is fragrant, with spiciness and tropical fruit notes.  Like most gewurz, this wine can stand up to spicy Thai, Chinese, Mexican or other foods with a chile kick.


There are 2800 bottles available all over BC at $19.99, so pick one up and let me know what you think. 

2 comments:

Ken in Victoria said...

Dear Mr. Barebareian. I know you have been very, very busy fact finding on the document dump by the liberals. I note they are trying to get all embarrassing thing out front hoping the gentle voters will forget.In addition, I think Mr. Abbot will attempt to provoke the teachers whereby an election might be called.
Sorry, I am off topic. To return,I have bought two bottle of red wine recently. My Oak Bay girlfriend whined and refused to drink. Note, you can lead a girl to wine but will she drink. Lemon gin was a necessity when I was young,
The red model is Hartys 1853 Butcher"s Gold from Australia.I see a bull or cow on the label. Tonite, She can sample Inniskillin Pinot Grigio as recommend by Jane at Gorge Pt Jar Store.If she does not like, the 86 year old Jewish lady will.
To conclude, I barred my self from that bar as they are well known for poor service and one really unfriendly waitress. The term wait means a long time.Also, their prices are too high. It is their loss but the gain to other Adult supplies of liquid coolers.
On Monday I will take your advice. Thank you.

Bill Tieleman said...

A friend reports that my German isn't perfect - he suggests pronunciation is Ge-vurtz-traminer. I can't disagree, as I've heard it that way too. But if you can say either you'll be just fine!